WordPress page builder plugins have sprung tremendously in the recent years changing the trend of website development course. Simplifying the WordPress customization, site page builders come handy for the beginners as well as experts. They make it possible to create completely new website layout without using any code.
There are several free and premium WordPress page builder plugins each of them offering unique features. In this article, I will write about 10 best page builder plugins for WordPress. But before presenting the list, I want to give a brief introduction of WordPress page builders in case you have not heard it before.
What is a WordPress Page Builder?
A WordPress page builder is a plugin which gives you the flexibility to make changes to the structure and design layout of the webpages with drag and drop editor.
Instead of writing codes, you can simply drag and drop the pre-made widgets in the content area (pages/posts), rearrange them and build beautiful pages. In this way, you can create completely different, unique pages than the default templates provided in the theme.
A page builder provides an advanced page editor which looks different from the default post/ page editor in WordPress. You don’t need to work with the ‘text’ view with HTML components or the ‘visual’ mode with an actual preview of the content but a simpler editor where you will add pre-made widgets, content blocks, and components.
It functions just like the widgetized sidebar of a WordPress theme. To add the required content in the sidebar, you simply drag and drop widgets and instantly give a new look to the sidebar. Similarly, page builder allows you to add any type of content in the form of widgets in the pages. Add as many widgets as you like, organize them with rows and columns, reorder and rearrange them simply by dragging and dropping.
You can use the default WordPress widgets, widgets provided in the theme, additional widgets in your page builder plugin or create your own widgets as per your need.
There are a bunch of page builders on the web so that users have plenty of choices. Both free and premium page builders are available among which some are basic and simple while some are stuffed with lots of options, modules, and widgets. This list contains the most popular, best-rated, best-selling page builders.
Let’s have a look at the best WordPress page builders 2020.
1. Elementor Page Builder (Free + Premium $49 for 1 site)
Elementor is a powerful drag and drop page builder. You can create high-end, pixel perfect, responsive websites instantly using this plugin. The plugin comes packed with 28 very useful and amazing widgets serve as mighty elements for creating stunning webpages. The plugin also allows you to use all the existing standard WordPress widgets and custom widgets that come with the theme and other plugins.
Elementor is a truly live editor. As shown in the media above, you can simply drag and drop the widgets you want and create a design like you want in live-preview mode. Editing and preview of the webpage go simultaneously.
Major features of Elementor:
- Total customization over layout: You can customize the webpages completely in the way you like: complete control over section width and height, the size of columns, column and content position, padding and margin setting, column gap etc.
- Template library: There are 20+ beautiful page templates designed for a professional look. You can pick any of them and have your page designed within seconds. Additionally, you can customize and save your own templates and reuse them later.
- Plenty of widgets: Comes with 28 widgets which are quite enough for customizing web pages. You may not require more widgets.
- Specific settings for tablets and mobiles: Elementor plugin allows you to make specific adjustments and design changes that affect only those specific versions.
- Premium version available: The premium version of the plugin comes with added widgets and advanced capabilities. You may need more advanced design changes as your website grows, so the option to upgrade may be an advantage.
- Lots of options: If you are a WordPress beginner, it may be quite confusing or overwhelming for you.
- Doesn’t work with older version of WordPress and PHP: Elementor plugin works with your website only if the WordPress version is at least 4.4 and PHP version 5.4.
Our Take: You can use Elementor if you want a pretty advanced page builder and may need additional features as well which you will get in the premium version.
2. Page Builder by SiteOrigin (FREE)
Page Builder by SiteOrigin is the most popular free page builder plugin for WordPress with over one million active installs. It provides a simple content creation interface for creating responsive page layouts using the widgets. It works perfectly with the standard WordPress widgets along with other widgets provided in the specific theme and plugins you may use. The plugin works well with most of WordPress themes and plugins which is good news for you if you want some design changes in your pre-existing theme layout.
As shown in the screenshot above, you can drag and drop the available widgets in the content area, reorder, rearrange them easily. Furthermore, you can customize the widget styles in three categories: attributes, layout, and design. You can easily change the widget attributes like paddings, background colors, and column spacing.
Major features of Page Builder by SiteOrigin:
- Convenient Row Builder: Add as many rows as you want, split the rows into the exact number of columns and provide precise weight to each column.
- Live Editing and History Browser: Edit widgets and your content in real-time with live previews. History tools allow you to roll forward and back through your changes.
- Free plugin: It is a free plugin. You will save some bucks.
- Simple and easy to use interface: Build unique and stunning web pages without writing a single line of code.
- Compatibility with any widget: Comes with some of its own widgets. Furthermore, it allows you to use any of the standard WordPress widgets any custom widgets. You can also use SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle which is a bundle of 20 useful widgets.
- Limited widgets: It has limited widgets in comparison to other page builders. You need to install additional plugins for more widgets.
- Basic live editing: SiteOrigin’s Page builder has a very basic live editor which is not advanced like other Premium page builders.
Our Take: Use this plugin if you want a clean, simple and basic page builder. Best for the beginners. Perfect for WordPress theme developers as they can add custom widgets to provide the required design.
3. WPBakery Page Builder for WordPress (Premium $64)
WPBakery Page Builder for WordPress (formerly Visual Composer) is the best-selling page builder plugin at CodeCanyon. It powers over 2 million websites on the web. The plugin provides both the front-end and backend content editing experience. Above all, it is not just a backend editing tool but also a feature-rich WordPress front-end editor. The front-end editing experience is awesome.
The plugin comes with 50+ predefined content elements which you can drag and drop anywhere on your website pages. Additionally, there are 100+ predefined layouts which you can use to build your pages. The plugin offers the optimum page building possibilities.
Main features of Visual Composer:
- Front-end and back-end content editing: You can experience both the front-end and backend editing with this plugin.
- Extensive content blocks, layouts, and add-ons: There are several content elements, layouts and also options to use over 150 exclusive third-party add-ons.
- WooCommerce compatible: The plugin has very good integration with WooCommerce plugin. Building eCommerce pages is really easy.
- SEO Friendly: The plugin has good support and compatibility with Yoast SEO plugin.
- Not Beginner friendly: You don’t need any coding knowledge for using this plugin but it may be overwhelming for the beginners. It has lots of modules which you may never use.
- Shortcodes-based: If you uninstall the plugin, you will lose the whole content or the content will stop working.
Our Take: You can use WPBakery Page Builder for WordPress plugin if you are looking for a powerful page builder in a reasonable price ($45). Better for the users with some development experience.
4. The Divi Builder (Premium $89)
Divi Builder is an awesome page builder plugin by Elegant Themes. It is the power tool behind the popular Divi theme which is now available for any other theme. The plugin provides a highly intuitive drag and drop interface. You can build almost anything visually without touching any code. There are 40+ beautifully designed content blocks/ modules which you can drag and drop, mix and match and build stunning webpages.
Besides, it has 20+ awesome pre-made layouts. You can pick suitable layouts and start building your pages.
Main features of Divi Builder:
- Endless layout possibilities: Create any type of design with 3 section types, 20-row types, and over 40 content modules.
- Add Custom CSS: If you are good at writing beautiful CSS codes, get your hands dirty. It has options for custom CSS.
- Developer friendly ultimate page builder: The plugin has lots of options that let you build anything, any design you can imagine. It’s developer-friendly and suitable for professional websites.
- Not for the beginners: Firstly, you cannot purchase this plugin ONLY. You must purchase at least Yearly Access package that comes with access to all themes and plugins. It’s quite expensive as the minimum cost is $89 for the Yearly Access.
Our Take: If you are planning to build multiple websites for your clients or agency, it’s a perfect pick. You’ll get this page builder along with a number of other plugins and themes by Elegant Themes.
5. Beaver Builder (Free + Premium $99 for Standard plan)
Beaver Builder is an advanced visual content builder for WordPress. It allows you to structure and design beautiful pages, posts of your website with full drag and drop support. With Beaver Builder plugin, you can edit the front-end with real-time preview; add rows, reorder and resize the columns as you like. You can find both the FREE and paid version of the plugin.
The plugin allows you to add audio, HTML, Photo, Text editor and video as basic modules and sidebar as the advanced module. Beaver Builder plugin works well with any custom theme and plugin. You can use WordPress widgets as well as other custom widgets to build beautiful pages.
Main features of Beaver Builder:
- Content modules: Add any type of content you like choosing from the available content modules; HTML, Photo, Text editor, Audio, Vide & Sidebar.
- Mobile Friendly/ Responsive: The pages built with Beaver Builder plugin will be 100% responsive (Make sure the theme is completely responsive).
- Reusable Templates: It has several beautiful page templates which you can use. Additionally, you can save the templates you designed and reuse them afterward.
- WooCommerce support: Beaver Builder has deeper integration with WooCommerce plugin. Designing eCommerce pages is really easy with this plugin.
- Developer friendly: Developers can easily extend and customize the plugin through widgets or using the powerful custom module boilerplate.
- Limited modules in FREE version: Beaver Builder plugin has limited number of modules in the free version. You need to upgrade to the premium version for more modules.
- Expensive: The cheapest Beaver Builder plan is available for $99.
Our Take: If you want to have a page builder that allows you to edit your content both in the backend and front-end at the same time, it’s a good pick. Install FREE version for simple editor and Premium for a more advanced editor.
6. Live Composer Page Builder (FREE)
Live Composer is a feature-rich premium-like WordPress page builder plugin. It is a WordPress front end editor that lets you edit your site with ease. The plugin is completely FREE yet provides plenty of advanced features enabling you to create stunning webpages in no time. There are over 30 awesome content modules with complete drag and drop support. The plugin lets you create stunning pages in real time with live previews.
The plugin offers you advanced customization option for each row, each column, widget or module. All the options are made easy for the non-coding users while custom CSS box is also available for designers and developers.
Main features of Live Composer:
- Live front end editing: As the name suggests, it gives an amazing front-end live content editor. You will see the design you make simultaneously.
- Import, export sections and layouts: You can export the sections or pages, and import them in other pages. It makes your task much faster.
- Powerful plugin for FREE: You get this advanced plugin for FREE. All the amazing modules and styling options are there in Live Composer plugin which reminds you of a premium plugin.
- Distracting for newbies: The plugin seems quite difficult and distracting for newbies. Adding rows is easy but separating into columns may take time. In the bottom part, there is a notification bar which shows Live Composer updates like ads which may distract you.
Our Take: If you are looking for an advanced plugin for FREE, it’s a good pick. The live front-end editor and many modules available in the plugin are the real benefits.
7. Themify Builder (Free + Premium $39)
Themify Builder is yet another powerful page builder for WordPress. You can easily build responsive website layouts using intuitive drag and drop framework. The plugin is available for FREE as well as in paid version. There are some over 20 useful modules in the free version of the plugin. You can drag and drop the modules easily both in the backend interface and front-end mode.
Additionally, the plugin allows you to import and export the modules/ layouts, copy and paste or duplicate the existing modules wherever necessary.
Main features of Themify Builder:
- Easy and responsive rows and columns: Easily create grids with responsive rows and columns. Resize and reorder the columns as you like.
- Custom Styling: You can customize various styling options including Google fonts, background color, padding, margin, border etc.
- Beginner-friendly live editing: Themify Builder plugin has a simple and clean interface. Beginners without coding experience also can enjoy simple live editing experience.
- Limited options in the FREE version: It’s available for FREE but has limited features and modules in the free version.
Our Take: Themify Builder looks much similar to free page builder plugin by SiteOrigin. It’s a good choice if you want to test a free plugin first and later upgrade to paid version for more features.
8. MotoPress Content Editor (Free + Premium $29)
MotoPress Content Editor is yet another simple WordPress plugin for building beautiful webpages. You can use the plugin with any theme you are currently using. It’s a WordPress front end editor providing you an easy interface with over 30 built-in content modules. Anyone without coding skills can use create unique design webpages using this plugin.
The arrangement of the content modules is better with this plugin. As shown in the screenshot above, you will find all the available text related modules inside ‘T’ text box, image related modules inside the image box and so.
Main features of MotoPress Content Editor:
- Responsive mobile ready layouts: You can create completely mobile responsive web layouts using this plugin.
- 30+ built-in content modules: Use 30+ built-in content modules and design your web pages.
- Works with your existing pages and posts: You can enable visual editor on your existing pages and posts and redesign them. Most of the other page builders do not support editing in existing pages.
- Limited customization and styling of the modules: There are some settings and styling options for the modules yet they are not as flexible as in other page builders.
Our Take: MotoPress Content Editor is simple and basic in its FREE version. The premium version for one website is a cheaper premium solution.
9. Cornerstone (Premium $39)
Cornerstone is a premium WordPress page builder plugin available at CodeCanyon plugin market. It is one of the most popular plugins there. It’s 100% front-end page builder that works both with pages and posts. This approach makes your task much faster, reducing the time you may take while saving the changes and previewing it in another tab/ window. It has over 40 elements which can be dragged and dropped anywhere in your pages.
Main features of Cornerstone:
- Cornerstone Page and block templates: The plugin brings about some pre-built page templates which let you build amazing pages in the speed of light.
- Incredible app–like interface: It has a clutter-free and intuitive interface so that users will be inspired.
- Ease of use: Cornerstone plugin is relatively easier with its simple and clean interface.
- Live CSS Editing: If you are a pro web designer with good CSS skills, the plugin is awesome for you. You can add CSS styles with live previews.
- Less element customization: In comparison to other premium page builders like Divi Builder, it has less element customization options.
- Shortcodes: Like most of the page builders, it is shortcode based. As you uninstall the plugin, the page content may stop working.
Our Take: If you are looking for a premium drag and drop page builder plugin with the truly intuitive front-end user interface, it’s a good pick. It is perfect for medium level users.
10. Page Builder Sandwich (Free + Premium $39 for single site)
Page Builder Sandwich is yet another amazing WordPress front-end editor. The plugin is available in both FREE and paid version. There are 10+ content blocks which you can add the columns. Furthermore, the plugin supports all the other standard WordPress widgets and custom widgets. There are extensive modules in the paid version.
Main features of Page Builder Sandwich:
- Global shortcode mapping: Shortcodes from popular WordPress plugins like WooCommerce, NextGEN Gallery, JetPack are mapped allowing you to add and edit easily in your pages.
- Simply the best live editing: It has a simple and easy interface for frontend editing. You can easily drag and drop the elements and add your custom content and simultaneously preview the design.
- No coding required: The plugin is fully drag and drop content editor which makes it possible to create beautiful pages without writing any code.
- Limited modules in the free plugin: The plugin is available in FREE version as well but it has limited content elements. It asks you to upgrade to premium version to unlock other features.
Our Take: It is relatively new page builder. If you want an alternative to existing page builders with simple user-interface, it’s good to go.
Using page builders has become a trend these days among everyone including WordPress theme developers and users. Most of the new themes these days come with in-built page builder integration and a number of widgets to work with it. For example, you can check out our Flash theme which is built with deeper integration to SiteOrigin’s Page Builder and a companion plugin Flash Toolkit which contains 10+ very useful widgets. If you are starting a new project, a theme like Flash with in-built page builder may be an advantage.
If you want to learn more about Flash theme, check out this post ‘Introducing Flash – Most Flexible FREE Multipurpose Theme‘.
But if you are using any other theme and wanted to restructure and redesign the pages, these page builder plugins may come handy to you. You can install any of the above plugins depending on your need and build great-looking websites instantly.
Have any say on this list?
Feel free to write below.