Using images to visualize, advertise and in overall, improve your content and blogs is an essential procedure for your website. But users have to be aware of the disadvantages of using too many images on your posts and pages. For one, it decreases the free space on your server. Ideally, you want to save your images on your own website’s server so that you can save and delete the images whenever required. This also improves the loading speed compared to using third-party image gallery websites.
Having too many images on a single post and page can also increase loading time for the webpage, as this means the client pc has to load bigger files to view your post. This can discourage a more impatient crowd and you really don’t want viewers to leave your website without even taking a look. Do you? Obviously not! Thus, in this article, we have listed down the best free WordPress image optimizers to make the optimization task fuss-free.
You can read more about the need for Image optimization and tips you can use to improve the performance of your website here.
WordPress Image Optimization and Compression:
Today, instead of discussing various tips and methods to compress the size of images like in our previous post, we are introducing a more beginner friendly and easier approach to image optimization.
In order to decrease the size of your images, we can optimize the images by compressing the image without causing a significant drop in image quality. From image resizing to removing image information, changing image extensions, we can do them. But instead of performing this actions manually, we can leave them all in the hands of some amazing and essential WordPress plugins.
Therefore, we use third-party plugins that excel at compressing your images using various compression and compiling methods which we will not delve further into here.
So without ado, let’s look at the best options for WordPress Image optimizer plugins available on the WordPress market.
Optimole is a free WordPress plugin that makes your site lightweight by reducing your images’ size without visually altering them (the images will look just the same, only their size will be smaller). In other words, Optimole resizes, compresses, and serves your images via CDN in any location. The images are processed through lossless and lossy optimization techniques.
Furthermore, Optimole works on autopilot, which means that once installed, it will do its job all alone – you don’t need to do extra work. You can track and monitor its activity, though, via a modern and user-friendly interface.
Optimole also comes with three premium plans that offer even more viewing bandwidth, disk space, CDN locations, priority support, and custom CNAME.
- Images are served via CDN, covering up to 110 server locations worldwide.
- 1GB of images per month in the free plan and 15+GB if you upgrade.
- 10GB viewing bandwidth per month in the free plan and over 100GB in the premium plans.
- Automatic optimization.
- Retina and HiDPI support with dynamic DPR detection on all the devices.
- Easy tracking and monitoring of the stats/results via a modern dashboard.
- Lossless and lossy optimization methods covering all the devices.
Smush Image compression and Optimization
Smush is one of the most popular premium plugins created for the purpose of compressing and optimizing images. This award-winning WordPress image optimizer takes pride in its capability of compressing images on your server automatically with minimal loss of quality. Furthermore, the image optimization is not done on your servers which drops the load on your website as well.
The plugin scans all images on your website and monitors future uploads and easily strips unneeded data from the images, compresses them and even resizes them if necessary. Smush can also compress images specified on a given folder and is also completely compatible with NextGen Gallery, WPML, WP Retina 2x and many other premium image related plugins.
- Lossless image compression for optimizing image sizes with no slowdown.
- Compatible with JPEG, GIF and PNG image files.
- Lets you set maximum width/height for images and images larger than the parameters will be automatically rescaled.
- Automatic optimization on image upload.
- Allows image optimization on the entire network, easily compress images on multiple websites with global and individual settings.
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW Image optimizer helps you improve your website’s reception and popularity using the power of image compression. This lossless WordPress image optimizer allows you to compress your images on the best compression ratio for JPG, PNG, GIF and PDF files. The correct compression is automatically selected based on the file format as well. The plugin is also completely free and while a paid service exists(exclusive for API use only), it is completely optional. The plugin also comes with complete SSL protection for your files.
Moreover, you can also choose between image optimization to be done on your server or a specialized server. Besides, you can bulk optimize images, from a large number of images to entire folders. Furthermore, already optimized images can be skipped as well.EWWW image optimizer is also fully compatible with WP Image editor, WEBP images, WP-CLI, NextGenGallery and many other plugins for images
- Unlimited file size for compression, no speed limits, background optimization
- Free image backups save your original images for 30 days.
- Automatic image resizing with basic retina support and automatic lossless compression.
- Compress images from plugins as well, BuddyPress avatars and images, Meta slider slides, GD bbPress attachments, and user-specified folders.
- CDN support for uploading to cloud servers.
Shortpixel Image optimizer
Another top of the line image optimizer, this GDPR ready plugin is a lightweight plugin that features the concept of automation prominently. Install and forget about worrying about image sizes, as the plugin automatically compresses and resizes older images while scanning for newer ones.ShortPixel Image optimizer takes minimal resources in order to drop the load on your web servers and works great on a shared cloud network, VPS or dedicated web hosting. You can also optimize image on your media libraries or any images sent through FTP.
You can easily optimize images using both lossless and lossy compression as well as a glossy JPG compression made for photographers for high-quality lossy optimization. Bulk optimization is also freely available for all users with restore feature, in case the compression is not to your liking. Furthermore, you can easily test the optimization parameters and the quality of your images with a single click. Shortpixel image optimizer also provides you with a 40-day optimization report with image details and more.
- Provides High-quality Lossy compression for optimization of high-quality images.
- PNG to JPG auto-conversion feature.
- Compatible with Webps, WP retina 2x, various image galleries, WooCommerce and WooCommerce plugins.
- Multisite integration features with a single API key.
- Compatible with watermarks and watermark plugins.
Compress JPG & PNG Images
Compress JPG and PNG is a WordPress plugin developed by the developers behind Tinypng, a free online image compression tool. The plugin works in conjunction with the online tool to externally compress your images thus optimizing your images and gallery while having no effect on your overall site speed. The plugin allows automatic image optimization for your newer uploads as well as bulk optimization for compressing older images.
A strong point about this plugin is that it preserves metadata, creation dates, copyright information and GPS location ensuring that you can take full credit for all the images uploaded on your website. Easily monitor your image compression data and statistics using the Dashboard Widget the plugin provides. Furthermore, the plugin is also made to optimize color profiles as well. The plugin converts images to standard RGB color profiles in order to conserve space and maximize compatibility.
- No file size limits for image optimization.
- Copyright metadata, creation date, and GPS location are preserved after conversion.
- Supports animated PNG and GIF formats.
- Supports Multisite optimization through a single API key.
- Provides a dashboard widget to monitor usage and compression statistics.
Imagify is one of the more powerful WordPress image optimizers available on the web. The plugin lets you compress images using three different compression methods with varying degree of image size optimization and quality change. Along with your media uploads, you can also optimize thumbnails and retina images as well. The plugin is fully compatible with WP Retina x2, WooCommerce, and various media gallery tools.
The tool lets you delete or preserve EXIF data if necessary and even has a backup option to automatically save your optimized images in case you are not satisfied with the image optimization. The plugin is also extremely beginner friendly and ensures that you don’t have to do anything at all, just use the plugin and watch as your site optimization soars.
- Lossless, Lossy and Ultra lossy compression algorithms for varying degrees of image optimization.
- Automatically backs up optimized images for restoring or re-optimizing.
- Supports PNG, JPG and GIF formats.
- Provides multisite support
- Directly resizes images before upload saving time and space.
ResSmush.it is a free WordPress image compression tool that’s based on the API with the same name. The plugin that has no correlation to Smush image compression plugin can help you reduce the size of your images, animated or not through several algorithms. The plugin allows you to optimize images, individually or in a bulk as well as allows optimization on upload.
Instead of choosing between different algorithms, you can define the level of compression simply using the optimization level feature. Moreover, the plugin works by creating a copy and working on it thus providing you with backups to restore to. Furthermore, the plugin is also completely with its only restriction being its 5MB file size limit.
- Completely free and easy to use design.
- Supports compression individually, in bulk as well as automatic compression on upload.
- Choose optimum compression level as necessary using the image quality value setting.
- Saves statistics and logs on image compression.
- Saves backup on optimization for restoration if needs be.
Thus using these plugins any WordPress user, regardless of their image editing skill can easily compress their images and thus improve their website performance. These plugins are free with some restrictions regarding free usages but also come with a paid model with significant advantages as well.
If you want to learn more about tips you can use to improve your website speed, take a look at some of our other blogs such as :
- WordPress CDN: Improving WP Speed through CDN integration
- 15 Tips to improve WordPress speed
- Useful hacks for optimizing E-commerce websites