Creating a website is very essential for everyone nowadays as we are quickly moving to the complete internet era. Be it sharing information, news, events, literature, portfolio, and even shopping seems really easy online. Regardless of the business/ job you do, a professional website will surely take your business to the next level. Enough of the website story, you must be wondering how to create one, right?
Well, there are multiple ways to build a website. You can hire a web developer to start from the scratch or use the popular CMS technology to build your website. However, working with CMS platforms require at least some coding skills. But nothing to worry anymore, there are some simple website builders which let you build sites easily, quickly and at the least price.
Since there are multiple website builders coming on the scene, I have put together the best website builders in this article. This post is the full comparison of 6 popular site builders Squarespace, Wix, Weebly, WordPress.com, GoDaddy Website Builder and Jimdo in order to sort out the best website builder for 2020.
Wix Vs Weebly Vs Squarespace is really tough as they are the most popular website builders. WordPress which began as a simple blogging platform is now a full-fledged CMS platform which also offers a website making platform as ‘WordPress.com‘ (Read about two WordPress flavors: WordPress.com Vs WordPress.org). GoDaddy Website Builder and Jimdo are also the well-known website builders which power millions of websites online.
These website builder platforms are in some way similar but different in some vital aspects such as ease of use, design, security, SEO, etc. So, ‘Wix Vs Weebly Vs Squarespace Vs GoDaddy Website Builder Vs Jimdo Vs WordPress.com’ will explore the major features, pros and cons of these site builders in order to help you choose the best platform.
Are you in a hurry?
Take a chance to look at the comparison table below for the article summary.
Wix Vs Weebly Vs Squarespace Vs GoDaddy Website Builder Vs Jimdo Vs WordPress (2020)
|Website Builder||Pricing (basic plan)||Design||SSL||Free Custom Domain||Website Space (basic plan)||Visit|
|FREE Plan Available
$4.50/mo. for Connect Domain
|500+ Wix Templates||Available on all premium plans||Available in all premium plans except basic Connect Domain & Combo plan||500MB Storage
|FREE Plan available
$8/mo. for Starter
|100+ Weebly Themes||Available only on Business and Performance plans||Available on all premium plans||Unlimited Storage & Bandwidth||Visit|
|Trial version for 14 days
$12/mo. for Personal plan
|60+ Squarespace Templates||Available on all plans||Available on all plans* (only with annual purchase)||Unlimited Storage & Bandwidth||Visit|
|Trial version for 1 month
$5.99/mo. for Personal plan
|300+ Website Builder templates||Available on all plans except the basic Personal plan||Not Available, you need to buy||Unlimited Storage & Bandwidth||Visit|
|Free plan available
|100+ Jimdo templates||Available on all premium plans||Available on all premium plans||5GB Storage
|FREE plan available
|300+ WordPress themes||Available on all premium plans||Available on all premium plans||6GB Storage
Wix: Full Review
Wix: A Brief Overview
Started in 2006, Wix is a leading website builder platform. It is easy to use, simple and feature-rich. You can create a portfolio, business, corporate, blog, landing page, photography or eCommerce site on this platform.
As they claim, more than 100 million people across the globe use this platform for creating their websites.
What they say: It all starts with your stunning website.
Wix Major Features:
- Responsive: Wix ensures that all your sites are fully responsive.
- Design: Wix provides a sheer number of elegant templates to choose from. There are 500+ awesome Wix templates suitable for various types of websites.
- Wix ADI and Wix Editor: ADI stands for Artificial Design Intelligence. It is an amazing feature you will love in Wix platform. Wix ADI is a smart tool which can create a unique design for you based on the information you provided. While Wix Editor provides really user-friendly drag and drop editor.
- More than 200 Apps: You can create a website and grow as a great online business using more than 200 free and premium Wix Apps.
- Powerful eCommerce: It provides a feature-rich eCommerce platform. You can create your own online store in three steps: Choose a template, 2. Personalize store & 3. Manage your store.
- Wix Mobile App: Get real-time updates, manage your site, and communicate with your site visitors and more with your mobile device.
- Wix SEO Wiz: Wix provides SEO friendly design so that your site gets higher ranks. It also provides recommendations to improve your site SEO.
- Dedicated Support: A massive resourceful knowledgebase where you will find tutorials. Also, you can contact them via phone, chat, and email.
Wix has both FREE and Premium plans for the users. The free plan provides you a Wix subdomain like ‘www.wix.com/mysamplesite’.
Wix features mainly 5 types of premium plans targeting users of various needs. View the most basic and most popular Wix plans below:
1. Basic Wix plan: Connect Domain ($4.50/mo.)
(500MB Storage, 1 GB Bandwidth, Free custom domain name not available – buy it from a domain provider, displays Wix ads)
2. Most Popular Wix plan: Unlimited ($12.50/mo.)
(Unlimited Bandwidth, 10GB Storage, Free Custom domain, Remove Wix ads, Form Builder App, Site Booster App, Customized Favicon)
Ease of UseBest Website Builders Compared: Full Wix Review #Wix #Vs #OtherWebsiteBuilders @wix Click To Tweet
Starting a website with Wix is unbelievably easy. You can simply sign up with your email address and choose your website category business, designer, blog etc. Next, you can choose one of the two options Wix ADI or Wix Editor (learn more about them in features). You can choose anyone because both the ways are extremely beginner-friendly. After your homepage is created, you can publish it choosing the free plan with Wix subdomain or connect a custom domain with any premium plan.
General rating for ease of use: 5/5
- FREE plan is available. When your site becomes popular, you can anytime upgrade with the premium plan.
- Beautiful designs created by Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) or easy to use drag and drop site builder
- Plenty of design templates available – about 500 templates available.
- You cannot remove Wix ads on the sites created using Wix FREE plan or the basic ‘Connect Domain plan’.
- Limited features and customization options, you cannot change the template later.
- You have no complete authority over your blog which is why your blog can be suspended anytime.
View Wix and Start Building a Website
Weebly: Full Review
Weebly: A brief overview
Founded in 2007, Weebly has become a complete website platform for entrepreneurs. It provides a simple platform to start a new website/ eCommerce store and integrated marketing to create a successful online business.
As stated on their website, more than 40 million entrepreneurs and professionals use this platform to grow their business online.
What they say: Do what you love – Websites, eCommerce & Marketing in one place
Weebly Major Features
- Drag and drop website builder: Guided setup,no coding needed.
- Powerful design tools: Responsive professional website themes, complete set of advanced design, no design experience required.
- Drag and drop blog creation: Flexible, powerful design elements, free blog templates with sharing features
- Hosting Infrastructures: Free, dedicated, fast loading, great experience to visitors.
- App Center: Rich App Center with a wide range of new functionality and services, custom domains, SEO tools, over 200 high- quality apps
- Cutting edge mobile apps: Easy to track performance, interaction with visitors, manage store orders.
- E-commerce tools: Advanced tools, real-time shipping, abandoned cart, coupons, and currencies.
- Gallery Creation: Online photo gallery creation, slideshows, custom backgrounds.
Weebly offers various plans for websites and online stores differently. There is a free plan and 3 types of premium plans for websites while there are 4 premium plans for online stores.
Free website plan with Weebly provides you a Weebly subdomain like ‘www.mysite.weebly.com’.
View the minimum premium plans for websites and online stores offered by Weebly below:
1. Basic Weebly Website Plan: Starter ($8/mo.)
(Unlimited storage, Free domain or connect your own domain, no Weebly ads)
2. Basic Weebly Store Plan: Starter ($8/mo.)
(Unlimited storage, Free domain or connect your own domain, no Weebly ads)
Ease of useWeebly - Full Review + Comparison with the best Website Builders #WebsiteBuilder @weebly Click To Tweet
Weebly is yet another super-easy platform for creating simple websites. Creating a website with Weebly takes just a few minutes. You can simply sign up with your name and email address, and next choose if you want to create an online store or not. Then, you’ll be given the templates to choose from (website templates or store templates) in various categories further. Pick a theme you like and ‘start editing’.
Next, it’ll ask you to choose a website domain: 1. use a Weebly subdomain or 2. Register a new domain or 3. use a domain you already own. After you choose your domain, it takes you to the live editor page where you can simply drag and drop, match and mix and customize the website design. After you make customizations, hit ‘Publish‘. It’s ridiculously easy.
General Rating for Ease of Use: 5/5
- Simple and amazing drag and drop page builder which allows you edit all the sections, add, mix and create awesome pages.
- Free plan with free Weebly subdomain. You can upgrade to a suitable premium plan as your business grows. If you choose any premium plans, Weebly ads are not displayed.
- Unlimited storage and bandwidth with all the premium plans.
- The basic Weebly premium plan seems quite expensive in comparison to Wix and other platforms. The basic plan named as Starter is available for $8/mo.
- Limited customization options: adjusting content width, changing content background color etc. features are not available. So, you must stick to the default design provided by the template.
View Weebly and Start Building a Website
Squarespace: Full Review
Squarespace: A Brief Overview
Doubtlessly, Squarespace made a remarkable growth. It has grown to be one of the most popular and powerful website builders since it began in 2003. It is an all-in-one solution that provides everything you need to start a website, grow and establish your own online identity. Most noteworthy, this platform includes the content management system software, hosting, domain, themes and templates, eCommerce, and support.
Millions of amazing websites are now based on this platform.
What they say: Make your next move – Make your next website
Major Squarespace Features
- Automatically Responsive– All Squarespace websites, pages are responsive and completely mobile-friendly.
- Design: Squarespace offers over 60 beautifully designed templates and a powerful LayoutEngine for advanced design changes.
- Feature-rich image manager– Drag and drop image management, CDN, direct image editing with Adobe image editor etc.
- Social media connected – Connect with any social media account and display social links on your site.
- In–built eCommerce – Fully functional eCommerce platform to let you start an online store.
- Amazon Associate Support– Generate revenue from your embedded Amazon product blocks
- FREE Squarespace subdomain– You get a free Squarespace subdomain by default (E.g.com). Additionally, you can purchase domains directly from Squarespace.
- Custom WYSIWYG Editor– It supports several content types and multi-column layouts
- User data collection – Form blocks, newsletter blocks & MailChimp support for building a mailing list
- Feature-rich blogging module – Category and tag support, scheduled posts, social sharing, RSS blocks etc.
- Audio Collections– Upload music directly to Squarespace website and share them beautifully.
- In-built Website Analytics– Traffic overview, traffic sources, sales overview, commerce overview, purchase funnel etc.
Unlike Wix and Weebly, Squarespace doesn’t provide a FREE plan. However, in order to let you get familiar with the platform, it provides a 14 days trial period.
Squarespace features two pricing plans for websites and two pricing plans for online stores.
Below are the basic plans for Squarespace websites and online stores:
1. Squarespace Website Basic Plan: Personal Plan ($12/mo.*)
(Unlimited storage & bandwidth, SSL security, mobile optimized website)
2. Squarespace Online Store Basic Plan: Basic Plan ($26/mo.*)
(Sell unlimited products, Unlimited storage & bandwidth, SSL security, mobile optimized website)
Ease of UseFull Squarespace Website Builder Review #BestWebsiteBuilder @squarespace Click To Tweet
Squarespace is easy to setup that it takes just a few minutes to start a website. Simply go to the Squarespace website, you can see ‘Get Started‘ button everywhere. Simply click on it and it takes you to templates page. Now, take a look at the templates and click on anyone you like the most. Then, insert your account details there and go ahead where you will see a welcome page.
Click on the ‘Start’ button and you’ll see a page with 3 setup steps. Choose website category, define your website goals when asked and you are almost done. You have a free trial website ready with a Squarespace subdomain (www.mysite.squarespace.com) as shown in the image below. In order to make the website live, you must click on ‘Upgrade Now‘ button, choose a suitable plan and pay money for it.
General Rating for Ease of Use: 4.5/5
- Advanced features and functionalities: Squarespace is probably the most feature-rich and powerful platform among all the website builders reviewed here.
- Extensive design options: With a number of beautiful templates and LayoutEngine, Squarespace let you create out of box design.
- Squarespace is not budget friendly. First, free plan is not available. Second, the basic website plan starts from $12/mo. which is quite higher price than Wix, Weebly, and other website builder platforms.
View Squarespace and Start Building a Website
GoDaddy Website Builder (GoCentral Website Builder): Full Review
GoDaddy Website Builder: A Brief Overview
As you know, GoDaddy is obviously a big name in the field of domain registration and hosting. It has now introduced a simple website building platform named as ‘GoCentral Website Builder’. This lets you create a website for your personal or business needs without needing to use coding and programming.
GoCentral Website Builder is quickly attracting more and more customers following the three best website builders Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly.
What they say: Build a better website in less than an hour
GoCentral Website Builder Features:
- Ease of use: True drag and drop interface, neatly laid toolbar, WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) platform.
- Theme design options: Over 300 templates to pick from, structured and pre- populated with content, professional design themes.
- Mobile display: Automatic conversion of the website into a mobile friendly interface.
- Backup points and restore function: Creation of multiple backup version of the website.
- SEO services: Optimizes all the basic SEO functions, cheaper service plans, access to keyword and topic suggestion tool, SEO checklists and ranking reports.
- Customer support: Free, 24/7 customer support.
GoCentral Website Builder Pricing
GoDaddy’s product GoCentral Website Builder doesn’t have any free plan however it provides one month free trial in its entire premium plans.
It has three premium plans for websites and one special plan for eCommerce websites. View the plan details briefly below:
1. GoCentral Website Basic Plan: Personal ($5.99/mo.)
(Unlimited storage and bandwidth, responsive mobile-friendly design)
2. GoCentral eCommerce plan: Online Store ($29.99/mo.)
(Unlimited storage and bandwidth, responsive mobile-friendly design, PayPal integration, credit cards, etc.)
View All GoCentral Website Builder Plans
Ease of UseGoCentral Website Builder by GoDaddy: Full Review + Comparison #WebsiteBuildingPlatform @GoDaddy Click To Tweet
GoCentral Website Builder provides a true drag and drop interface which lets you create a website very easily. Actually, it is WYSIWYG (What You SEE Is What You Get) platform so that you will get the design as you insert in the website editor. It is visually impressive and beginner-friendly. Users with or without any coding knowledge can easily create a website on this platform.
General Rating for Ease of Use: 4.5/5
- Powerful Secure hosting and integrating beautiful domain names from GoDaddy is surely a benefit as it is the product of the same company.
- Beautiful Drag and Drop interface makes it really easy to create websites for all types of users regardless of their coding skills.
- It doesn’t offer a free plan. The basic ‘Personal’ plan lacks essential features like SSL, SEO, PayPal integration etc.
View GoCentral Website Builder and Start Building a Website
Jimdo: Full Review
Jimdo: A brief overview
This platform was started in 2007. Since the beginning, Jimdo has been constantly growing as a bigger wider community worldwide. It provides a simple platform for creating beautiful websites for multiple purposes.
As they have stated on their website, over 20 million websites have been built using this website builder.
What they say: Make your own website
Jimdo Major Features:
- Choice and flexibility of design templates: Provides flexible, responsive and easily customizable templates, over 120 templates available for you to choose from.
- Built-in statistics: You can monitor your site’s traffic and stay updated. Also, you can track your visitors.
- Jimdo mobile apps: Free Jimdo apps for iOS and Android devices, unprecedented freedom and flexibility to create and edit the website on the go.
- Tools, widgets and other services: Provides you the list of compatible tools, widgets, and other resources to improve your site and add functionality.
- Photo, Video, and Audio: Capture photos with your phone or tablet, produce video from a photo, video clips, and music into video slideshows and upload them directly to your Jimdo website.
- E-commerce tools: Easy to use, e-commerce-oriented website builder, you can build online shop without too much hassle and sell your product directly to the consumers.
- SEO: Jimdo web pages are automatically Search engine optimized, you can modify the global SEO settings for JimbdoFree websites.
- Website tools: You can add a search bar to your website, embed google translate, customize forms, galleries and more without leaving the Jimdo site. You can get more traffic with beautifully simple social media tools and also create surveys, polls, and quizzes for your site.
Jimdo basically has two pricing models- Freemium and subscription. The pricing plans offered by Jimdo to its customers are listed below:
1. JimdoFree – always free!
( 500MB storage, 2GB bandwidth, free Jimdo subdomain like www.site.jimdo.com )
2. JimdoPro – $7.50/mo.
(5GB storage, 10GB bandwidth, free domain name, email account, statistics, basic online store, optimized for mobile devices, SEO, popular widgets, Ad-free)
3. JimdoBusiness -$20/mo.
(Unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, free domain, business email package, complete online store, fastest priority service, ad-free, statistics, SEO, popular widgets, optimized for mobile devices)
Ease of UseJimdo Website Builder Review and Comparison with other platforms #BestWebsiteBuilders @jimdo Click To Tweet
Though not completely a drag and drop website builder, Jimdo is still relatively easy to use. With its easy to use interface, Jimdo happens to be one of the easiest ways to create a website. After completing a basic sign up form, you can start customizing your website in a WYSIWYG editing environment. Activating it only takes a matter of minutes. Once the setup is done, it allows you to accept orders from buyers from all around the world. Overall, the learning curve is not steep as Jimdo has a very user-friendly interface.
General Rating for Ease of Use: 5/5
- The editor is made for a complete beginner. Adding, subtracting and editing elements are a breeze.
- Jimdo has its email hosting and a domain name already included in its Business and Pro packages.
- It automatically optimizes your website for search engines.
- Availability of apps for both Android and iOS is one of the biggest strengths of Jimdo.
- Jimdo does not have its official export function yet. Thus, you are obligated to use its hosting platforms.
- No photo adjustments. It lacks the feature like built-in image editor
View Jimdo and Start Building a Website
WordPres.com: Full Review
WordPress.com: A brief overview
WordPress has two flavors: WordPress.org and WordPress.com. WordPress.org is where you can download the WordPress software and start creating a self-hosted website. But we are just talking about the WordPress.com platform here which is a website builder and blogging platform like other 5 platforms discussed here.
WordPress.com also uses the same WordPress software as WordPress.org. Millions of websites based on WordPress.com are now online.
What they say: WordPress powers 27% of the internet
WordPress.com Major Features
- Choice of themes: You can choose from hundreds of customizable themes, with new additions every week.
- Easy to use: WordPress interfaces are polished, simple and easy to use. no coding experience or expert knowledge is necessary.
- Plugins to add functionality: You can just add a related plugin if you want to add new functionality on your blog or website.
- Mobile-friendly: You can create a mobile-friendly site that easily runs and looks great on every platform like desktop, laptop, mobile.
- Multisite: Can be extended to Multisite feature on demand base. you are able to develop and maintain multiple sites using single WordPress installation.
- Backed by community support: Supported by a vibrant community of users who have already solved many of the toughest challenges.
- Saving drafts and previewing posts: You can save your unfinished tasks improve them later and publish when you’re done. You can look at the preview for the tasks so far before you press the “Publish” button.
WordPress also has both free and subscription plans. It provides its users with 4 different pricing plans.
Out of all of its pricing plans, the most popular one is the premium plan.
1. Personal Plan- $2.99/mo.
(Custom domain name, jetpack essential features, jetpack essential features, email & live chat support, hundreds of free themes, basic design customization, 6GB storage space, remove WordPress.com Ads)
And, the least expensive of all is the personal plan.
2. Premium- $8.25/mo.
(Custom domain name, jetpack essential features, email & live chats, unlimited premium themes, advanced design customization, 13GB storage space, remove WordPress.com, monetize your site, videoPress support)
View all other WordPress plans
Ease of UseWordPress.com: Free Website Platform #Review #FullComparison @wordpressdotcom Click To Tweet
Starting a website with WordPress.com platform is extremely simple and easy. You can setup a complete site in a matter of minutes. Fist, click the ‘Get Started’ button and you will come to the 1st step out of 5 steps. Next, choose one of the 4 layouts provided: A list of my latest posts, A welcome page for my site, A grid of my latest posts or An online store. That’s all you do in step 1.
You can choose a theme in Step 2. Next, you can find a domain name in Step 3. You will get a WordPress.com subdomain name like www.mysite.wordpress.com for free. Step 4 – You can choose a hosting plan in step 4. Choose either the free plan or any one of the 3 premium plans available as per your need. Step 5 – You will get a ‘Create your account’ form where you must insert your email address, username, and a password. Just hit ‘Go’. Then, you’ll instantly get a confirmation link in your email inbox. Click on ‘Confirm Now’.
Now login with the username and password you set in step 5. Then start customizing.
If you have any confusion customizing the theme, go the themes, find the theme you have used, open the description page where you’ll find how to customize the theme.
General Rating for Ease of Use: 5/5
- Free WordPress.com subdomain or a custom domain for premium plans. It has an advantage of simple and flawless migrating to self-hosted WordPress.org platform.
- Security checked by WordPress.com – Jetpack essential features
- Hundreds of free themes available to choose from. You can choose a free or premium theme and start creating a site.
- Limited options to extend or modify your blog, you cannot use custom WordPress plugins
- The free WordPress.com plan has many limitations. You cannot monetize your blog, cannot add ads and earn money.
- Technically, you don’t have ownership over your blog as your blog works as one of WordPress.com subdomains. Your site can be suspended anytime for the violation of the terms.
View WordPress.com and Start Building a Website
Despite the fact that these simple website builders are an easy way to start, they lack advanced options like customizability, freedom, marketing, eCommerce, SEO etc. If you want to start a serious online business, using the powerful CMS platforms may be a wiser decision.
If you want to read about CMS platforms, view the full CMS comparison on our blog.
Among all the CMS platforms, WordPress (.org) is the most popular one. It is very easy to install the WordPress software and start a website on WordPress platform. There are plenty of amazing WordPress themes and plugins. Check out our recommended FREE WordPress themes and plugins below:
- 45+ Best FREE WordPress Themes 2020 – The Most Powerful and Most Popular free templates
- Best WordPress Premium Themes – Collection of the Most Amazing Themes online
- Best WordPress Plugins – Must have WP plugins for 2020
Have any thoughts?
Feel free to comment below.
9 thoughts on “Wix Vs Weebly Vs Squarespace Vs GoDaddy Website Builder Vs Jimdo Vs WordPress: Which is the Best Website Builder in 2020?”
The first step towards having an SEO optimized blog is selecting the best blogging … Users can also comment on posts and provide their suggestions to the writer. … Weebly is one of the most powerfully and widely used blogging platforms.
This is very nice post. Very rich and informative.
Well, it’s mainly depends upon the individual requirement. Well, I used GoDaddy for my website.
Ill give you an alternative option. I used Bowwe to create my website and I think it was the best I could do. Totally recommended. I’m not so understanded with the ITs so it was the best option for me: easy to edit, cheap, HTML quality… just check it and try if it is suitable for your needs. Ill leave the link here: bowwe.com.
I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I need to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for great information I was looking for this info for my mission.
We really appreciate your kind words 🙂
Thanks, Sunita for sharing such a wonderful article.
I was using WordPress for years but I recently created my site with SiteSonic and I’m happy with it.
SiteSonic is both safe and fast.
Well it all depends on the requirements. Now there are a lot of companies in the internet market who are providing affordable ready to use websites and mobile apps. Even more high quality multi vendor eCommerce sites as well. So I think better to buy them instead of buying themes or plugins.
Yes, Rayan. ‘Well, it all depends on the requirements.’ If your requirements are minimal and don’t want much customization task on your part, buying ready to use templates is definitely a good option. But if you want to create a big-brand website, using CMS, themes and plugins would be a better option. Thank for commenting. 🙂
I started a Weebly site over a year ago, left it for a while, and came back to it again recently. It seems like they’ve gone downhill in the interim. Their text editor is twitchier, and it seems like there are even fewer formatting options as time goes on. I tried to set up a store through their premium plan, but just when I wanted to activate it, Weebly stopped billing me for it and dropped me back to the free plan without so much as a message or phone call.
I’m using the free plan right now, so for most of my website it’s fine. But the blog is just terrible. You can’t reorder your blog posts or pin a specific blog at the top of your blog page. And within the last month or so, Weebly made the ridiculous decision not to allow you to disable comments on your blog any longer. If you don’t want blog comments–which is becoming a growing trend with people who don’t want to deal with trolls and the time suckage of moderating and responding–you have to select “closed” in the “manage comments” menu. This then causes “0 comments” to be displayed at the top and bottom of the blog, giving the impression that you have no readers. Seriously?
It seems like there are an awful lot of blogs about migrating *away* from Weebly, which doesn’t thrill me (most people seem to want to go to WordPress from the looks of it). I’m guessing I’ll eventually leave too, although I’ve had issues with other platforms in the past. I wish all these sites (and SM too) would stop fixing what isn’t broken and ask customers what they want instead. Don’t even get me started on Pinterest!
Good summary–thank you!