Are you looking for the best WordPress security plugins? If yes, you have come to the right article.
Keeping your WordPress website secure is very important. You might get some unwanted attacks or hacks at any time so you have to do everything you can to protect it. Luckily, you can use some amazing security plugins with WordPress to further keep your website secure.
Why Use WordPress Security Plugins?
There are many ways to keep your website secured and one of the best ways to do that is by using plugins. Security plugins the additional functionality and features that your website needs to keep your website as secure as possible.
Surely, there are other ways to keep your website secured like using the best hosting services, using a secured WordPress theme, or tweaking your WordPress login options. But, using a WordPress security plugin is one of the easiest and most effective methods of them all.
Most security plugins already provide some of the best features that you’ll ever need for your website. They include firewalls, malware scanning, reports, backups, and spam protection.
So, using one of the best WordPress security plugins will certainly save a lot of your time as well as keep your website safe and secured.
Best WordPress Security Plugins To Protect Your Website
As mentioned earlier, there are many ways to keep your website secure. Similarly, there are many plugins that can help you in different ways too.
So, we have categorized them according to their specific features. Therefore, you’ll save a lot of time and it’ll also be easier to select the best WordPress security plugins for your website as well. The categories are:
- All-round Security Plugins
- Firewall Security Plugins
- Spam protection Security Plugins
- Brute Force Attack Security Plugins
- Security Plugins for Login
- Malware Scanner Plugins
- Backup Plugins
- Security Log Plugins
- Some More Security Plugins
Some of the plugins can be suitable for two or more categories as well. But, we have listed them in the category where their most powerful feature can be highlighted.
1. All-Round WordPress Security Plugins:
These plugins provide almost all the security options that you might need for your WordPress website. Hence, they are very effective and feature rich for your WordPress website.
i. iThemes Security
iThemes Security is one of the most popular WordPress Security Plugins which can easily keep your whole website secured. It can handle different types of security threats towards your website as well.
One of its highlighting features is the ability to prevent brute force attacks as well as scan for malware.
- Bans hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts.
- Scans website with instant reports for any vulnerabilities.
- Blocks troublesome user agents, bots, and other hosts.
- Forces SSL for admin pages or any other pages and posts.
- Detects and blocks numerous attacks on databases.
ii. Sucuri Security
Sucuri Security is one of the most widely used WordPress security plugins. It is used for multiple security reasons like malware scanning, auditing, and security hardening.
Some of its highlighting features is protection against hacks and DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) hacks and website monitoring.
- Defense against DDoS attacks and hacks Web Application Firewall (WAF)
- Blacklist and File Integrity Monitoring
- Security Activity Auditing and Remote Malware Scanning
- Post Hack Security Actions with automatic and manual cleanups
- Website Speed Optimization and Caching Options
Likewise, we have a guide on how to prevent DDoS attacks as well. This can be very helpful for you in keeping your website secured as well.
iii. Shield Security
Shield Security is one of the most simplest yet very effective WordPress security plugins. So, all you need to do is activate the plugin and tweak some settings that suits you best.
Moreover, one of its highlighting features is the automatic bot and IP blocking which uses points-based system that you control.
- Block Bot Attacks on Login, Registration, and Password Reset
- Limit Login Attempts along with Login Cooldown System
- Prevents Unauthorized Changes to Site even by the Admin.
- Automatic File Scanning which also Detects File Changes.
- Create a Custom Login URL by Hiding wp-login.php
iv. Defender Security
As mentioned in the name itself, Defender Security is one of the best forms of defense for your WordPress website with all-round security. Therefore, it is also one of the best WordPress security plugins for you.
However, one of its highlighting features is one-click hardening techniques to add layers of protection to your site.
- Two Factor Authentication with Password and Mobile App Verification Codes.
- Login Masking and Lockout with Failed Login Attempts Lockout.
- 404 Detection and Geolocation IP Lockout.
- Disable Trackbacks and Pingbacks for Spam Prevention.
- WordPress Security Firewall to Block IPs
SecuPress is another one of the WordPress security plugins that provides your site with overall security. Hence, it does everything it can to provide you the best security possible for your website.
Furthermore, one of its highlighting features is the number of automatic tasks it performs to protect your website, from vulnerable plugins/themes detection to anti brute force measures.
- Anti Brute Force Login
- Vulnerable Plugins and Themes Detection
- Security Audits with Full Scanning and Fixing Options
- Limit the Number of Bad Login Attempts.
- Blocks Malicious Incoming Requests and Bad Crawlers.
Price: $69.99/year per site
Similarly, we do have a list of some of the best WordPress plugins and WordPress speed optimization plugins too. They do have some all-around functionalities and features in their respective categories as well.
2. Firewall WordPress Security Plugins
The firewall WordPress security plugins provide a strong firewall to your WordPress websites to protect it from malicious attacks.
i. Wordfence Security
Wordfence Security is one of the most used firewall when it comes to WordPress security plugins. So, you can be pretty relieved for your website after using this plugin.
In fact, one of its highlighting features include an endpoint firewall that was produced from ground to protect WordPress.
- Identifies and Blocks Malicious Traffic through Web Application Firewall (WAF)
- IP Blocklists that Blocks all Requests from Malicious IPs.
- Enable Deep Integration with WordPress to Protect your site at Endpoints.
- Protection from Brute Force Attacks with Login Attempt Limits
- Malware Scanner for core files, themes, plugins, bad URLs, SEO spam, and much more.
Price: $99/year for 1 site
ii. All in One WP Security and Firewall
Even though All in One WP Security and Firewall provides all-around security, it does provides a very strong firewall for your website as well. Therefore, it has also been successful to become one of the most used WordPress security plugins as well.
Similarly, some of its highlighting features includes a very secure firewall and best WordPress security practices.
- Detect WordPress User Accounts for Identical Login and Display Names.
- Protect Against Brute Force Attacks with Login Lockdown Features.
- Enable Manual Approval of User Registrations.
- Protect PHP Codes by Disabling File Editing from WP Admin Area
- Schedule Automatic Backups and Email Notifications
iii. BulletProof Security
As mentioned in the name itself, BulletProof Security acts as a bulletproof vest with its firewall for your WordPress website. So, it is also one of the best WordPress security plugins you can use for your website.
Furthermore, one of its highlighting features is the firewalls with .htaccess Website Security Protection along with plugin and IP firewall.
- AutoRestore and Quarantine Intrusion Detection and Prevention System.
- Database Monitor Intrusion Detection System
- Firewalls for Plugins and IP Addresses.
- .htaccess Website Security Protection.
- HTTP and PHP Error Logging
iv. Security Ninja
Security Ninja is also one of the best WordPress security plugins which provides additional protection to your website. Similarly, it also uses a vulnerability scanner that warns you if you have plugins with vulnerabilities.
Obviously, one of its highlighting features also includes a firewall which will help you to stay one step ahead from harmful attacks.
- Perform 50+ Security Tests with just a Click.
- Check your Site for Security Vulnerabilities, Issues, and Holes.
- Optimize and Speed Up your Database and Website
- Brute Force Attack Tests on User Accounts
- Checks if Automatic WordPress Core Updates are Up to date.
Price: $7.99/month starting from 1 site
v. BBQ Firewall
BBQ Firewall is one of the best firewalls as well as the best WordPress security plugins. Therefore, this plugin is also pretty capable to keep your website as safe and secure as possible.
However, one of its highlighting features is its light and efficient firewall which does an impressive job of protecting from a wide range of threats.
- Protects against SQL Injection and Directory Traversal attacks
- Scans all Incoming Traffic and Blocks Bad Requests
- Very Fast Web Application Firewall (WAF) for WordPress
- Frequently Updated and “Future Proof”
- Compatible with other Major WordPress Plugins
3. Spam Protection WordPress Security Plugins
Akismet is not only one of the best WordPress security plugins for spam protection, but it is also one of the most used WordPress plugins all over the world. So, it is pretty convincing that it does its job very well.
Hence, one of its highlighting features includes spam protection for your WordPress website by checking comments and contact form submissions.
- Automatically check and filters out spam comments.
- Provide Comment Status History for all the Spammed and Unspammed Comments.
- Discard feature to remove the spam permanently and save disc space.
- Built with Very Lightweight Framework to Provide Fast Operations.
- Displays URLs in Comment Bodies to show any Hidden/Misleading Links.
ii. Hide My WP:
Hide My WP is one of the other WordPress security plugins that can protect your website against spam very well. Similarly, it also hides your website from attackers and theme detectors.
Moreover, one of its highlighting features is its robust and fully secured yet simple antispam system for your WordPress website.
- Hides WP Login URL and Renames Admin URL
- Frequent Checks for New Vulnerabilities and Spams
- Intrusion Detection and Prevention System with Customized Rules for WordPress.
- Firewall Against SQL Injection, Brutal Force, and many more.
- Block Direct Access to PHP Files.
Additionally, there are various ways through which you can stop spam registrations in WordPress too. Furthermore, we have also created a list of WordPress anti-spam plugins that can be a great help to you.
4. Brute Force Attack Security Plugins
These WordPress security plugins help your website protect from brute force attacks. They usually detect multiple login attempts from bots and attackers and block them to keep your website safe.
i. WP Fail2Ban
WP Fail2Ban is one of the best WordPress security plugins to protect you against brute force attacks. Similarly, it can also log all the login attempts along with providing multisite support.
One of its highlighting features is obviously to protect your website from brute force attacks with the most simplest and effective methods.
- Logs all Login Attempts whether they are Successful Logins or not.
- Filter for Empty Username Login Attempts
- Block Username Logins without Email Addresses.
- Availability to Log Comments and Attempted Comments
- Provides Immediate Banning(Hard) as well as a more Graceful Banning(Soft).
ii. Anti-Malware Security
Anti-Malware Security is one of the other WordPress plugin security plugin which can protect your website a lot with brute force attacks. Similarly, it can also be used as a firewall which can help in keeping your website even more secure.
However, one of its highlighting features is it patches your WP-login to block brute force and DDoS attacks.
- Check Integrity of your WordPress Core Files
- Automatically Download New Definition Updates while running a Complete Scan
- Firewall to block Malware from exploiting vulnerabilities.
- Patch WP-login and XMLRPC to Block Brute Force and DDoS Attacks
- Awesome Support from the Plugin Team
5. WordPress Security Plugins for Login
WordPress security plugins for login are designed for authentication and protection against attackers while logging in to the website. Most of these plugins use two-factor authentication for login verifications.
i. Google Authenticator
Google Authenticator is one of the WordPress security plugins which protects your website for login with two-factor authentication (2FA). Similarly, it also uses multi-factor authentication (MFA) to keep your WordPress website.
Moreover, one of its highlighting features is its simple and easy user interface which is yet very effective for your login security.
- Two Factor Authentication (2FA) and Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
- Available with SMS verification, Email, Duo, Microsoft Authenticator, and many more.
- WordPress Login and Registration Forms Integration.
- Compatible with Major WordPress Plugins.
- Provides Awesome Support.
6. Malware Scanner Security Plugins
These plugins will help in scanning your WordPress website for any potential malware that might affect it. You can choose between manual as well as automated and scheduled scans in most of these plugins.
i. MalCare Security
Even though MalCare Security is one of the best all-around WordPress security plugins, its malware detection process is on a completely different level. So, we have categorized it as a malware scanner security plugin.
Similarly, its highlighting feature does include a very fast, powerful, and secure malware detection and removal system that will always protect your website.
- One-Click Malware Cleaner with Unlimited Automated Cleanups
- Powerful Cloud-Based Firewall for All-Round Site Protection
- Integrated with Complete Website Management for Better Security Management
- Performance Check to Monitor Website’s Loading Speeds
- Identifies and Blocks Malicious Traffic and Hacking Bots
7. Backup Plugins
Even if you have one of the best security systems, sometimes you might lose all your website data due to some unfortunate mishap. So, in these cases, the backup plugins can be a great help to you.
UpdraftPlus is one of the best WordPress security plugins when it comes to providing backup and restoration for your website. Likewise, it is also one of the most popular plugins to provide scheduled backup.
Moreover, one of its obvious highlighting features is its capability to provide backup directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, FTP, and many more.
- Supports both Manual as well as Automated Scheduled Backups.
- Easily Duplicates or Migrates Websites (By Migrator)
- Multisite and Multi-network Compatible
- Backups non-WP Files and Databases to Multiple Remote Destinations
- Incremental Backups along with Advanced Reporting Systems
VaultPress is one of the other WordPress security plugins which is widely used as a backup plugin as well. It is a plugin created by the people behind WordPress from Automattic.
Furthermore, its highlighting feature is effective automated backups along with restoration and site migration options.
- Automated Backups stored in Offsite Digital Vault in Real-Time.
- Quick Restoration Options for any Unfortunate Website Events
- Reliable Site Migration and Duplication Options
- Automatic Detection and Elimination of Viruses, Malware, or any other Exploits.
- Automated File Repair and Spam Defense Systems.
Moreover, do have a look at the list of some of the best WordPress backup plugins too. Similarly, we have a guide on how to migrate a WordPress website as well.
8. Security Log Plugins
WordPress security plugins provide proper activity logs and reports for your website. Hence, you might be able to identify the attacks before they become security problems and take necessary actions.
i. WP Activity Log
If you want a WordPress security plugin for security logs for your WordPress website, WP Activity Log can be the one for you. Similarly, it provides an activity log of everything that happens on your websites.
However, one of its highlighting features is that it can provide the activity log for all your WordPress websites as well as multisite networks.
- Ensure and Improve Accountability and Productivity with Activity Log
- Spot Suspicious Behavior before they are Security Problems
- Reports based on Date and Time along with User Role and Source IP Address.
- Generate HTML and CSV Reports
- Configure Archiving and Mirroring of Logs.
If you want to keep your WordPress website more secure, then a bit of knowledge on WordPress salts and security keys can also be helpful
9. More WordPress Security Plugins (Honorable Mentions)
Here are some more WordPress security plugins which we thought can get an honorable mention. If the security plugin that you are looking for is not listed above, maybe you can find it here.
WebARX is one of the WordPress security plugins which also does a great job in protecting your website. Furthermore, it also has many security features like most of the plugins in the list.
However, one of its highlighting features is its ability to block any plugin vulnerabilities with the help of vulnerability monitoring.
- Firewall that Identifies and Blocks Malicious Attacks.
- Monitoring for Possible Security Issues and Vulnerabilities.
- Generate Weekly Security Reports and Alerts.
- Produce and Write Custom Firewall Rules.
- Prevents your Website from Malware Infections.
ii. Astra Security
Astra Security is one of the newer WordPress security plugins which is slowly growing its popularity in the WordPress community. So, if you are not satisfied with any of these plugins on the list for some reason, this plugin might be for you.
Moreover, one of its highlighting features is ability to provide a firewall along with a malware scanner for your website.
- IP and Country Blocking along with Brute Force Protection.
- Blacklist Monitoring and Spam Blocking
- Unlimited Automatic and Scheduled Malware Scans
- Automatic Malware Removal Options
- Lightweight and Efficient
These are some of the best WordPress security plugins that you can install to keep your website secured. However, before you start using these plugins, do have a look at our simple WordPress security tips for better security of your website too.
Similarly, we also have tips to speed up your WordPress website and a tutorial on creating a WordPress website properly as well. We hope that these articles will also come in handy to you while making your website more secure.
7 thoughts on “10 Best WordPress Security Plugins to Secure WP Sites in 2021!”
Great article, I am using wordfence plugin. Its great also detect malwares and plugin security problems easily.
Also I use Cloudflare for extra protection…
Its nice to see that you have rated Wordfence Security plugin on top, I would like to share my overall experience with this plugin which was also very positive, ever since I learned about it through Wpblog, thanks to this plugin I never had to face any security breaches in a long time.
Thanks for the info. Great article
Thank You Karthik, Glad you liked it 🙂
Wonderful post. Thanks for it. each security plugin has its own features. it is based on your website requires you can choose them. it is better to go with a plugin which gives complete security.
Thanks for this useful list. I use Wordfence free plugin on my site. That plugin safeguards my site from all brute force attacks
You provided amazing plugin list of security. I am using wordfence security plugin for my blog.